Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Shucks


The kids and I were drawing with chalk on the driveway, when my neighbor and her grandson go running down the street yelling, "Combine! Come watch the combine!" So naturally, we all take off running barefoot into someone's backyard. This HUGE combine comes RIGHT past us, combining the corn. Is that the right way to say that? This big monster of a machine, takes the dried corn and pulls all of the kernels off of the cob. After watching this for a while, I officially met my neighbor, whose yard I was in. The little boy next to Natalie in this picture is Lincoln, my neighbor's grandson. He's also 4 years old.

As the corn fills up the combine, a tractor comes along side to take away the corn so the combine can keep right on working. It's sort of like re-fueling a jet in the air. Tractors and Jets. I know so much about both of these, I'm practically an expert. This was so much fun watching and the kids loved picking up dried stalks and empty cobs. It leaves the neighbor's yard a mess, but what a riot! I can't wait until they come and harvest the soy in our backyard. All are welcome to watch when it happens, I'll even provide snacks.

1 comment:

a.marie said...

i see natalie's first date forming nicely.